The Matthew Rae Letters have been preserved as part of the John Lunau collection by Markham Public Library.

Matthew Rae in Uniform

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Memories of Childhood

An undated letter was written “from the trenches” in the Middle East came from a nephew of Bessie, who recalled his childhood with Matthew:
Many a time I’ve thought of you all over there in Unionville and especially you and Uncle Frank in your anxiety for Matthews’ safety….As I sit in these trenches, memory carries back to the days when we were boys together….What laughs we used to have together. What subjects we discussed together when we were supposed to be sound asleep in bed at night. What words on [what the] future [would] be and….what we should be some day in the great game of life. What charming girls we were to marry (We had love affairs in days!) and through it all we never thought of war and that not many years hence we should be actors in the greatest tragedy the world has ever known. …..now life can never be the same again….I wish you’d write me with any particulars you have about matters. I can’t realise it fully. Poor chap! He was so big & handsome in that photograph you sent us. My deepest sympathy & prayers are with you both in it all.
My bestest love & all loving sympathy to you & much
Ever your affectionate nephew
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment