The Matthew Rae Letters have been preserved as part of the John Lunau collection by Markham Public Library.

Matthew Rae in Uniform

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Letters from Scotland

Many letters were sent between Unionville and relatives in Scotland. On July 2nd 1916, Matthew’s grandmother, Mrs. Barbour, wrote to her daughter Bessie Rae:
My own darling
What can I say to you. My heart is very sore for Frank & you and you are never out of my thoughts. I got the sad message yesterday morning about 10 o’clock. I have been very very anxious these weeks and was trying to prepare myself for bad news but I found I was not at all prepared. Our poor dear boy if we only heard that he were living we would wait patiently and pray for news. This morning at prayers when I tried to pray for the Prisoners I could not go on. I thought I had our own dear boy suffering with them and how glad I would be to know of him among them. One thing Matthew will bear hardship and discomforts better than most of them….
She then reveals that Matthew had a sweetheart.
“I am thinking too of poor Lizzie! How does she bear up? I would like to write to her but I really do not know if she and Matthew are engaged.”
“Lizzie” was Elizabeth Russell, sister of Jim Russell and a member of the Russell family who in 1914 had built a home at 116 Main Street, just across the road from the Manse where the Raes lived.
“Oh my darling I wish I had you in my arms. Much love to you both from your loving mother …”

No comments:

Post a Comment